JStudio SiteWalker Service Board Forum Index JStudio SiteWalker Service Board
Find out / share information about our product, experience and requirements. To serve all user all postings must be written in English language. We are looking for constructive meanings and experience. Disrespectful postings will be deleted immediately.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parameters from Excel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JStudio SiteWalker Service Board Forum Index -> How To: Specific requirements in practise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisdutz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Parameters from Excel? Reply with quote

Hi,

In my automating GalaxyWars project I need to create dynamic Task urls. I have seen that i can use parameters defined in some global parameters settings using ${parameterName} ... I would like to use content from my excel talbe. How can I do this? To make it a little clearer ... i would like to do something like "http://1.2.3.4/build.php?u=${$B$1}"

Chris
Fabrice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: set parameters using java script Reply with quote

Hi,

you can use static parameter definitions within your task urls. to make values variable using excel you need to change parameter values by values from excel. i never found a suitable way doing so. i created a static .html file and use automated standard features:

a input (text) control (id="input1") within the .html files gets the value from excel (from your cell $B$1; just assign it to the step for this input).

a second step includes a java script statement
${parameter} = document.getElementsById("input1").value;
this writes the value attribute to your parameter.

and the parameter can be used anywhere. Idea

i recomment to use a static .html page for this process to initialize all parameters of your project at once (including inputs and script statements for each parameter) before starting the automation run.

let me know how it works. if you find a more comfortable way, please let me know. Question

enjoy.
chrisdutz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmpf ... ok ... I created a script adding a textfield to the currently viewed page which I sort of use for that, but I didn't finish that way, because it looked like a really really bad hack. Semms I was on the right track ... unfortunately Sad

Tanks for your hint Smile

Mabe we should state a feature-request with this?

Chris
sitewalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: workflow how to import parameter values from MS Excel Reply with quote

Hi chrisdutz,

the suggestion given by Fabrice is a very good way to initialize parameters by Excel values at the start of an autonavigation. It also separates these activities from the web application to be automized/ tested by using a self made static html page. Thanks Fabrice!

JStudio SiteWalker does not support setting parameter values from Excel. Parameter values can only be set by extracting steps or using JavaScript statements. So importing Excel values to a page where they can be used to load into parameter variables is a suiteable workaround for this.

Anyway, we will check the suggested feature supporting loading parameters from Excel.

best regards,

sitewalker admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JStudio SiteWalker Service Board Forum Index -> How To: Specific requirements in practise All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: